Amazon operates in a number of European countries and has a great opportunity for a dynamic and experienced person to assist with current and future VAT projects and VAT advisory work for the growing EU business, with a focus on Marketplace activities and more specifically the Fulfilment by Amazon business (FBA). This will involve liaison with internal and external business partners, as well as colleagues from the various operating companies across Europe and working with the European tax team to continue to ensure best practice is implemented across the groups companies and to promote VAT awareness.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
-VAT Support & Advice to the FBA business and support teams working on specific internal project implementations and improvements
- Provide pragmatic advice to the business on certain transactions and project work
- Ensuring that the various Amazon companies are VAT compliant in the way they report and operate to minimize risk and exposure to penalties
- Promote VAT awareness and knowledge in the operating companies including training to relevant staff, and liaising with the various business units regarding changes to existing systems, policies and procedures.
- Promote VAT awareness for the merchants selling on Amazon by supporting the business in setting up seller education activities
- Provide support to business in building tools to simplify and automate elements of the VAT compliance process for the third party merchants
- Analysis and support with implementation of changes to the various EU VAT legislations
- Demonstrable extensive experience in a VAT advisory role in a multinational and/or professional organization.
- Good knowledge of supply chain structures is an advantage
- E-commerce VAT experience in a retail/marketplace environment is an advantage, as well as an understanding of digital / provision of services
- Cross border and global supply chain VAT experience
- Experience in the implementation of VAT (determination and reporting) functionalities in ERP systems is certainly a plus
- A team player who is confident in communicating with others and able to work with minimal supervision
- Good communication and personal skills with a “can-do” attitude.
- Demonstrate ownership.
- The ability to initiate and implement change, and demonstrate a problem solving approach.
- Ability to explain complex VAT matters to non VAT experts
- Organized and methodical. Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in English (and other European languages an advantage)
- A strong desire to exceed expectations
- A dive deep mentality
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Work effectively in a team environment
- Partner well with people at all levels within an organization
- Practical approach to VAT with a sound understanding of legislation and technical issues
Degree in tax law or accounting, chartered accountant (or equivalent, e.g. CTA) with specialization in European VAT
- Relevant experience from industry or practice background
- Other European languages are an advantage